I know I am addicted to the internet, to email, to Facebook, to blogs, etc. In fact I put off getting a smartphone for a year or so because I knew I would be addicted to using it. And indeed, I have a strong urge to pull it out all the time to check something.
So as of midnight tonight, I'm going to try (TRY!) to stay off the internet for 48 hours.
- No email
- No Facebook (and no FB Messenger)
- No new blog posts (I have some that I wrote earlier this week that are ready to go up with post-dated posting so there will be some each day ;-) )
- No reading new posts to blogs
- No checking things on Google
- Oops, no using Google Calendar; this may be a challenge.
- No looking up sports scores and schedules
- No Netflix
- No YouTube
- No using our joint grocery shopping list, Our Groceries (a terrific app, btw)
- No Google maps, but I can use Tom-Tom or Navigon since I already have their maps downloaded as if I'd be using any sat-nav device.
- If you need to reach me, call or text.
I can use my phone, but I must be careful not to check mail, etc. I think I have turned off all the banners and notifications, but I'm not sure.
I can use our landline phone, even though we have cable land-line service.
I can watch cable television, too.
And I can use my computer for things like Word or Excel, but I have to turn off the wifi mode for those 48 hours.
I'm not sure I can do this. But I need to try it. [I also NEED to learn a lengthy role for a show I'm doing this coming Friday.]
I'll post an update on Tuesday. I'll probably stay up past midnight on Monday just so I can check my email, etc. ;-)